I've just read something that I can really, really recommend. Get in Trouble
is a book of short stories by Kelly Link
; a finalist in this year's Pulitzer's for fiction.
These are mundane stories in fantastic universes. These stories are full of dark whimsy and of genuine feelings often concealed from others, and they are often sexy. I don't remember reading anything like this since Roald Dahl's stories for grown-ups (Tales of the Unexpected
). Talented storytelling, relatable characters - such a strong collection. Don't discount it just because the world of these stories is out of whack."These stories make you laugh while staring into the void."
Some teaser plots:
- waitress hangs out with her childhood friend who is now a world-famous superhero
- girl is indentured to look after a house full of mischievous creatures and doorways into another world
- in a modern world run on ancient Egyptian customs, two rich disillusioned teenagers go to a burial chamber
- gay couple go to a disastrous island wedding while their surrogate has pregnancy complications back home
- girl falls in love with her BFF's new robot boyfriend
- astronauts tell (really freaky) ghost stories on a spaceship
- woman with two shadows runs a warehouse in the Keys, at the end of times
There are character names rendered in cartouche symbols and ghosts living in robots; superhero conventions and demon lovers helplessly in love; murder art and a vanished nudist colony. I was blown away and I just have to pass this goodness along :)